《What can I hold you with?我要用什麼留住你》(博爾赫斯)

What can I hold you with?

【阿根廷】Jorge Luis Borges(博爾赫斯)

  • about the poet:豪爾赫·路易斯·博爾赫斯(Jorge Luis Borges, 1899-1986),阿根廷詩人、作家,跟聶魯達、帕斯齊名的拉美三大詩人之一。代表作有:短篇小說集《惡棍列傳》《虛構集》《沙之書》;詩集《深沉的玫瑰》《雨》;等等。

What can I hold you with?

(我要用什麼來留住你?)

I offer you lean streets, desperate sunsets, the moon of the ragged suburbs.

(我送給你單薄的街巷、絕望的落日和荒涼城郊的月光。)

I offer you the bitterness of a man who has looked long and long at the lonely moon.

(我送給你一個天荒地老地望着那輪孤寂明月的男人的悲愴。)

I offer you my ancestors, my dead men, the ghost that living men have honoured in marble: my father’s father killed in the frontier of Buenos Aires, two bullets through his lungs, bearded and dead, wrapped by his soldiers in the hide of a cow; my mother’s grandfather—just twenty- four—heading a charge of three hundred men in Perú, now ghosts on vanished horses.

(我送給你我的先祖,故去的人們啊,未亡之人用大理石祭奠他們的靈魂:我父親的父親,他被兩顆子彈穿透肺葉,在布宜諾斯艾利斯的邊境死去, 蒼髯如戟(鬍子像戟一樣堅硬。形容男子容貌威猛),魂飛九天,麾下戰士用一片牛皮裹了他的屍身;我母親的祖父—那年二十四歲—在祕魯率三百精兵衝鋒陷陣,如今都隨胯下戰馬煙滅灰飛。)

I offer you whatever insight my books may hold, whatever manliness humour my life.

(我送給你我的書卷裏容納的所有洞悉,送你滋養我人生的所有男子氣。)

I offer you the loyalty of a man who has never been loyal.

(我送給你一個從不忠誠之人的忠誠。)

I offer her that kernel of myself that I have saved, somehow – the central heart that deals not in words, traffics not with dreams and is untouched by time, by joy, by adversities.

(我送給她我無意間保存完好的核——那從未與文字過招,從未跟夢想交易,也從未被時間、歡欣,抑或艱難困苦觸及過的內心。)

I offer you the memory of a yellow rose seen at sunset, years before you were born.

(我送給你一個有關落日餘輝下黃玫瑰的記憶,那遠在你出生的數年以前。)

I offer you explanations of yourself, theories about yourself, authentic and surprising news of yourself.

(我送給你有關你的詮釋,有關你的原理,有關你的真切而驚人的訊息)

I can give you my loneliness, my darkness, the hunger of my heart; I am trying to bribe you with uncertainty, with danger, with defeat.

(我送你我的孤寂、我的幽暗、我心底的饑饉;我妄圖用將信將疑、危機四伏、窮途末路來賄賂你。)

發表評論
所有評論
還沒有人評論,想成為第一個評論的人麼? 請在上方評論欄輸入並且點擊發布.
相關文章